Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Different Mother's Day

This day last year, I was a mother, however, I had not yet held my precious baby girl in my arms. All I had was a picture of a cherubic face with beautiful deep brown eyes. I stared at that picture constantly...longing to hold her and see her smile. This year was much different. We went to church this morning, and when we picked Lily up from the nursery, I received my first Mother's Day gift from her. She "made" me an adorable mug that says "I Love Mommy" and has her sweet little hand prints on it. I will treasure it forever! Our pastor asked all of the moms to stand up today. It took me a second to realize, that was me! I started to cry. I am blessed.

I am reminded on this day of everything I want to be for my family...for my husband and my daughter. I want to be the best for them. I am certainly not perfect, nor will I ever be. But I can aspire to be the kind of wife and mother that God wants me to be for them, and if I put Him first, I know I will be.

Proverbs 31:10-12
"An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life. "

Proverbs 31:25-31
"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future. She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and bless her; Her husband also, and he praises her, saying: "Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all." Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her the product of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates."

5 comments:

karly said...

Oh, so very sweet! Happy Mother's Day, Julianne! I pray you enjoyed your day to the fullest!

Anonymous said...

Oh Julianne...your post has me crying. It seems that this Mother's Day is a very joyous one. The kids called my best friend, their Godmother, last night to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. She didn't answer, so we left it on the machine. A few minutes later she called back....crying....she's pregnant! After years of trying, it finally worked! To receive that message and be "reminded" that she is indeed a Mother and will be again soon was beyond her threshold!
I can totally see how you were feeling!

Melissa said...

Happy Mother's Day Julianne...I just love the verses you posted...they say it all don't they...everything we aspire to be with God's help :)

Grafted Branch said...

I am so happy for you. Your remembrance is taking me right back to the first time Fifi came from Sunday School with a special gift made for me and her daddy.

smurfy said...

I was viewing your blog and can't help but leave a comment.. You wrote everything so beautifully.. it must really be great to be a mom :)